Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1.19.2010

veasyble




By collective GAIA ( Gloria Pizzilli, Arianna Petrakis, Ilaria Pacini, and Adele Bacc):
"The project is based on three keywords: isolation, intimacy and ornament. It consists of a set of wearable objects that can be converted into means of isolation, to create a personal intimacy in any environment. The idea derives from a reflection on the change in our relationship with the domestic environment, due to the effects of our increasing mobility, and how this has affected our concept of intimacy, creating new demands. This led to the design of four accessories, screen for four different parts of the body: eyes, ears, face and upper body, expressing, through their shape and color, our desire for intimacy at any time, any place, on various levels.
An ornament that can be worn.
A gesture to transform it.
A secret place for personal intimacy.
A reminder of our exterior aspect.

A strong, dominant exterior that conceals a fragile, personal interior.
Every accessory is shaped according to a pattern that is the same for all. The difference arises in the scale of production, which depends on our demand of intimacy."

This beautiful and poetic project raises interesting questions about intimacy and sharing personal space. It reminds me of a toy I had as a kid, which consisted in a long foldable tunnel where I was laying and hiding. This shell was making me invisible and was giving a calm break from my brothers. Veasyble could be my adult version of it, where I could take breaks from my colleagues, classmates, and only share my space with wanted ones.

Made out of paper bonded to polyethylene and fabric, all in white, the project is inspired (again) by traditional origamic folds. It reminds me strongly this interactive project on which I worked from Ying Gao, the dress 2 of Walking City.



Libellés :